How to set up an ETrun server on windows

stealth

How to set up an ETrun server on windows

Post by stealth »

Installing files

Download both the server binairies and the client files (if you don't have them yet) here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=166
Go to your Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory directory and create a new folder "etrun" and extract the client files to the newly created directory.
Inside the server binairies zip you will find 2 directorys linux and win, open the win directory and extract the contents to your etrun directory.

Your etrun directory should now look like this:
etrundir1.jpg
etrundir1.jpg (50.21 KiB) Viewed 43885 times
Start up parameters

Right click ETDED.exe and create a new shortcut, if you are running ET 2.55 right click ET.exe and create a new shortcut (although I advise using 2.60b)
Next go to the properties of the newly created shortcut. We are going to change the target line, for instance:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mapping - Enemy Territory\ETDED.exe" +set sv_pure 0 +set dedicated 1 +set fs_game etrun +exec etrun.cfg
  • sv_pure - Will ensure that clients pk3 files are the same as the servers (0 = off, 1 = on)
  • dedicated - Defines what kind of server you are running (1 = LAN, 2 = Internet)
  • fs_game etrun - Load the etrun mod
  • exec etrun.cfg - Execute etrun.cfg
The pevious line an example from my mapping installation. For a normal server you'll probably be looking at something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mapping - Enemy Territory\ETDED.exe" +set sv_pure 1 +set dedicated 2 +set com_hunkmegs 192 +set fs_game etrun +net_port 27960 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +exec server.cfg
Here's a screenshot from my mapping installation:
etruntarget1.jpg
etruntarget1.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 43885 times
Note: If you are running a dedicated server on the internet you will also need to forward the net_port (default: 27960) in your router before other clients can connect. (Google port forwarding for more info)

Config

Earlier we mentioned etrun.cfg or server.cfg, this is just a config file that contains more cvars to define the settings on your server. Here's a very basic example:

set sv_maxclients "20" 				// Max people to connect

// PASSWORDS & CLIENTS 

set g_password ""			// set to password protect the server
set rconpassword "secretpassword" 			// remote console access password
set refereePassword "anothersecretpassword"			// referee status password

// DL, RATE

set sv_maxRate "25000"					// 10000 standard but poor for ET 
set sv_dl_maxRate "42000"				// increase/decerease if you have plenty/little spare bandwidth 
set sv_allowDownload "0"        			// global toggle for both legacy download and web download
set sv_wwwDownload "0"					// toggle to enable web download
set sv_wwwBaseURL "" 	// base URL for redirection
set sv_wwwDlDisconnected "1"				// tell clients to perform their downloads while disconnected from the server
set sv_wwwFallbackURL ""	// URL to send to if an http/ftp fails or is refused client side

// WATCHDOG

// in case the game dies with an ERR_DROP
// or any situation leading to server running with no map
//set com_watchdog 10				// defaults 60
set com_watchdog_cmd "map oasis"	// defaults to quit

// ETRUN - PHYSICS

set physics "255"			// 

// ETRUN - SECURITY

set g_floodProtect "1"			// 0|1: disable/enable flood protection. (Default: 1)
set g_floodThreshold "8"			// limit of sent commands allowed. (Default: 8)
set g_floodWait "768"			// time interval between 2 commands. (Default: 768)
set g_maxConnsPerIP "3"			// maximum connections from a same IP address. (Default: 3)
set g_maxNameChanges "3"			// maximum name changes allowed by map. Use -1 to disable. (Default: 3)

// ETRUN - API

set g_useAPI 0			// disable/enable use of API module. (Default: 0)
set g_APImodulePath ""			// absolute path to API module. (Default: "")

// ETRUN - MAPSCRIPTS

set g_mapScriptDirectory "custommapscripts"			// name of custom mapscripts directory. (Default: "custommapscripts")

// ETRUN - MISC

set g_enableMapEntities "31"			// enable entities according to the given bitflagged value. (Default: 31)
set g_forceTimerReset "1"			// turn off/on bypass "wait 9999" on start triggers preventing timer to reset. (Default: 1)
set g_holdDoorsOpen "1"			// disable/enable doors staying open once open. (Default: 0)
set g_disableDrowning "1"			// disable/enable drowning. (Default: 1)
set g_cupMode "0"			// disable/enable cup mode. (Default: 0)

map oasis 			// a default map for the server to load on startup, otherwise clients won't be able to connect
For more information on ETrun cvars check out: https://github.com/boutetnico/ETrun/wiki/ETrun-cvars
Create a new txt file in your etmain or etrun directory, call it etrun.cfg and write your cvars inside. (Make sure the extension is .cfg NOT .cfg.txt)

Congratulations

That's it! Double click the shortcut to start your dedicated server and a W:ET console will appear. To join your server start ET.exe and type /connect 127.0.0.1 in console.

Mapping tips

If you're running a server to test your map, then at the bottom of the etrun.cfg add devmap "mapname" instead of map "mapname" to load your map when the server boots.
Then create a shortcut to ET.exe and change the target line to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mapping - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" +connect 127.0.0.1
Then use this shortcut to connect to your server faster.
Lolwat

Re: How to set up an ETrun server on windows

Post by Lolwat »

I followed the tutorial using these settings..

ETDED Shortcut wrote:

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ETDED.exe" +set sv_pure 1 +set dedicated 2 +set com_hunkmegs 192 +set fs_game etrun +net_port 27960 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +exec server.cfg
Made sure port was open
server.cfg wrote:

set sv_maxclients "20" 				// Max people to connect

// PASSWORDS & CLIENTS 

set g_password ""			// set to password protect the server
set rconpassword "secretpassword" 			// remote console access password
set refereePassword "anothersecretpassword"			// referee status password

// DL, RATE

set sv_maxRate "25000"					// 10000 standard but poor for ET 
set sv_dl_maxRate "42000"				// increase/decerease if you have plenty/little spare bandwidth 
set sv_allowDownload "0"        			// global toggle for both legacy download and web download
set sv_wwwDownload "0"					// toggle to enable web download
set sv_wwwBaseURL "" 	// base URL for redirection
set sv_wwwDlDisconnected "1"				// tell clients to perform their downloads while disconnected from the server
set sv_wwwFallbackURL ""	// URL to send to if an http/ftp fails or is refused client side

// WATCHDOG

// in case the game dies with an ERR_DROP
// or any situation leading to server running with no map
//set com_watchdog 10				// defaults 60
set com_watchdog_cmd "map oasis"	// defaults to quit

// ETRUN - PHYSICS

set physics "255"			// 

// ETRUN - SECURITY

set g_floodProtect "1"			// 0|1: disable/enable flood protection. (Default: 1)
set g_floodThreshold "8"			// limit of sent commands allowed. (Default: 8)
set g_floodWait "768"			// time interval between 2 commands. (Default: 768)
set g_maxConnsPerIP "3"			// maximum connections from a same IP address. (Default: 3)
set g_maxNameChanges "3"			// maximum name changes allowed by map. Use -1 to disable. (Default: 3)

// ETRUN - API

set g_useAPI 0			// disable/enable use of API module. (Default: 0)
set g_APImodulePath ""			// absolute path to API module. (Default: "")

// ETRUN - MAPSCRIPTS

set g_mapScriptDirectory "custommapscripts"			// name of custom mapscripts directory. (Default: "custommapscripts")

// ETRUN - MISC

set g_enableMapEntities "31"			// enable entities according to the given bitflagged value. (Default: 31)
set g_forceTimerReset "1"			// turn off/on bypass "wait 9999" on start triggers preventing timer to reset. (Default: 1)
set g_holdDoorsOpen "1"			// disable/enable doors staying open once open. (Default: 0)
set g_disableDrowning "1"			// disable/enable drowning. (Default: 1)
set g_cupMode "0"			// disable/enable cup mode. (Default: 0)

map jootest
Saved as server.cfg (no .txt)

But I'm receiving this error in console..

Any ideas? :<

UPDATE:

I've downloaded MapIDE-1.1 and using the ETDED in there, i get no GEOIP error, but still can't connect for some reason, Awaiting Connection... 19
stealth

Post by stealth »

For the GeoIP error I guess you're either missing the geoip.dat file or have insufficient permissions? (maybe run as administrator required)

You can get geoip.dat here: http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geo ... oIP.dat.gz
(It needs to be extracted with 7zip or some other program that can unpack .gz files)
Then place it in your etrun folder.

As for awaiting connection problem. This could be a lot of things... Try opening the console and see if there is an error. Check that the IP is right (127.0.0.1).

If you just want to test a map then it's easier to use the MS.exe program that is included in the Mapping IDE.
Lolwat

Post by Lolwat »

stealth wrote:For the GeoIP error I guess you're either missing the geoip.dat file or have insufficient permissions? (maybe run as administrator required)

You can get geoip.dat here: http://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geo ... oIP.dat.gz
(It needs to be extracted with 7zip or some other program that can unpack .gz files)
Then place it in your etrun folder.

As for awaiting connection problem. This could be a lot of things... Try opening the console and see if there is an error. Check that the IP is right (127.0.0.1).

If you just want to test a map then it's easier to use the MS.exe program that is included in the Mapping IDE.
I managed to solve all of the above problems by using the ET.exe within the MapIDE and just /devmap in console (this version didnt give me GEOIP error).. however now i'm having a problem with textures, maybe you could help me with.. I've made a firstroom using textures from common, but ingame they are the orange/black with an error WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/common/oldbrk_01...

I have both common.pk3 and pak0.pk3 in etmain
stealth

Post by stealth »

Can you view the textures in radiant or is it red / black? Lots of textures don't work so just try some other ones. The textures in common should only be used for invisible walls, triggers, caulking, etc.

Try some from battery_wall or town.
Lolwat

Post by Lolwat »

stealth wrote:Can you view the textures in radiant or is it red / black? Lots of textures don't work so just try some other ones. The textures in common should only be used for invisible walls, triggers, caulking, etc.

Try some from battery_wall or town.
In radiant the textures showed fine, but errored (orange/black) ingame..

Just changed them to battery_wall textures and now it's working fine in-game, thanks man

Also just tried a few others too, seems some work some dont