Reddit Article

Pudd

Reddit Article

Post by Pudd »

I wrote an article for r/speedrun to help give some exposure to our rather hermetic community. Let me know what you think. http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/commen ... ning_game/
NinjaDeer*

Re: Reddit Article

Post by NinjaDeer* »

fun article
you might want to post videos about the different kind of modes(vet, vq3 and cpm) and also maybe edit/specify that:
nother feature of the engine is that if the player jumps around the time they land, they will instantly jump again without losing their current speed, called "bunny hopping"
wich works different in VET, because you cant bhop if you dont land on a surface of lower height (adding difficulty to making routes, wich i think is interesting for speedrunners)
also a fun way to show how trickjump can actually be practical and efficient is by showing the video's of sqzz doing flagcaps or docruns

my take on why trickjump isn't popular, it looks lame most of the time for an outsider, especially gamma's/strafepads and straight forward maps
a lot of people around me still dont get why i play this game, for them it's "just jumping around"
but the explanation to what you have to do in order to gain speed or distance was just confusing for them
when you havent played yourself before you dont get why it's difficult and fun or challenging
then there's the AP aspect wich is basicly just a quake 3 rip-off so a lot of people make the choice to go play either q3 or VET instead of AP.
plus, if a new player that's interested ever connects he will draw the conclusion that we're all assholes :P

i would also specify more about ProjectRIK, maybe you actually get to pull more players towards it
One of the points made by some redditguy was that the communitys are all divided, Dinius his goal is to bring them together

hope i helped
Pudd

Post by Pudd »

I was trying not to go into great detail about trickjumping or the different physics, just present a rough overview to those who have never heard of it or even ET before. It did cross my mind to mention that you can't bunnyhop unless it's a certain height lower than where you jumped from, but not too low or else you'd break your legs and so on and so forth. I didn't think it was worth all the words to explain.

I'm curious if other timerunners are into the speedrunning scene... watch Mario64 Twitch streams or whatever. Do people here consider themselves speedrunners? I'm getting the sense that a convergent evolution sort of thing happened, where trickjumping evolved into "Timed Runs" independently from other games evolving into speedrunning, but they're both essentially the same.
NinjaDeer*

Post by NinjaDeer* »

Oh alright, personally i enjoy watching speedrun vid's because i have played a lot of those games as a kid
But i wouldn't say that we fall in the same category as those people, since their goal is to actually finish the game as fast as possible
Trickjump could have been that(still is in some ways) but it's mostly about finding/making the coolest tricks/originals/gammas
We have maps dedicated for our 'gamemode' instead of bashing and bugging our way through some singleplayer where the AI can be predicted etc.
Rtcw(nearly same physics) has been done though, you might want to check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGb21qNwYTg
http://speeddemosarchive.com/ReturnToCa ... stein.html
OldAccountIsInactive

Post by OldAccountIsInactive »

First off, you can jump again after 800 or 900 milliseconds (don't quite remember), not because you've fallen down to a lower height :geek:

AAaaand, my goal with RIK isn't REALLY to bring the divided communities together.
I left ET community in 2011 coz it was virtually dead, and it's even more so nowadays.
Warsow race has 1 server from what I can see.. :|
Defrag however has some activity, it's not a lot though. And even so, no offense to dfers, but they're sometimes a bit.. let's say, stuck in their ways, so to speak, so I'd wager a bet most dfers will stick to df for the most part, at least initially.
If I have a goal, it'd rather be to get as much of the existing communities together in order to build a great trickjumping game, and THEN, when there's a good, stable, somewhat finished product, try to get some actual new blood.. :twisted:

PS: I don't really read this forum, just dropped by, so might not answer any replies to this in .. a week or more :P
NinjaDeer*

Post by NinjaDeer* »

mustve been misinformed then :P