SummerCup maps

Everything related to APCup
stealth

SummerCup maps

Post by stealth »

Did anybody finish a map for the summer cup? If there are 5 finished maps then we could use them for a Fall, Winter or 2014 cup. (preferably fall)

I'm not really interested in judging people's mapping skills so the only things I'll check the maps for is:
- Takes min 25s to complete
- Playable for majority of players
- No hidden teleporters that let you skip stuff
- Has at least 1 week worth of work put into it (has a light compile and doesn't look like complete rubbish)

Basically the quality of the cup is in your hands, if you make shitty maps then it's going to be a shitty cup.

Mappers that said they might have something:
AjB*
amethyst
Diman
Flame
GnOu
HeX|Tuomas
NinjaDeer*
Yave.

Could the mappers post some kind of status of their map (even if you don't have anything). Then we can get an idea if a cup would still be possible or not.
If your map is complete you can send it to me in a private message on the forums (checked daily), send it to me on xfire (checked rarely) or send it to me through my teamspeak server (I'm online here most days IP: 654982.ts3.mpgs.co)

What does everybody think about 26th of October as the starting date? I think that's during or just after a holiday break for schools & still quite a lot of time before the exams start.

If Ninjadeer is still organizing something then I apologize and will leave him to finish it. There was a lack of updates so I just presumed he'd abandoned the project.
AjB*

Re: SummerCup maps

Post by AjB* »

Good to see that the cup is not wasted. Thanks for reviving it.
My map is 95% completed and will be ready soon. and for me the date is good.
Diman

Post by Diman »

Still haven't got to work on it since that day I said I would do it. But anyway it's going to be shortened (as if it might become too boring for me) so it's going to be like 2/5 of what I've wanted to create.

I hope I and other mappers can get some inspiration for mapping and create something decent (and I have to say to it myself aswell), though I don't think that mappers can still be that dedicated to their job.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Im really sorried, but I dont have a map.
Im very busy etc.
Ill finish it asap.
Flame

Post by Flame »

I do have a finished map.

I wouldn't say it was amazing by any means - It's the same style as my Tranquil map, but due to my lacking of skill in actual AP jumping, I don't think it's amazingly difficult.

I could possibly change a few things here and there, but I won't really have the time to edit it much. It's a finished me nevertheless, up to you if you think it's jump worthy.

I've never got my head around the levelshots folder/script, so that's all that's missing from my map. I have the 2 pictures for the command map and the connection screen image but I have no idea how to work the script lol. My Tranquil map, I kind of "flooked" it and got lucky somehow. If you could explain to me how this works in a PM or something, it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the date, my birthday is the 28th/taking 22nd - 31st off work to spend time with a friend who's visiting, so won't be that active between those times.
Yave.

Post by Yave. »

Stealth you saw what I did there ;)

So Im remodeling some parts of map, but its almost finished
NinjaDeer*

Post by NinjaDeer* »

my map is not finished
stealth

Post by stealth »

Flame wrote:I've never got my head around the levelshots folder/script, so that's all that's missing from my map. I have the 2 pictures for the command map and the connection screen image but I have no idea how to work the script lol. My Tranquil map, I kind of "flooked" it and got lucky somehow. If you could explain to me how this works in a PM or something, it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not exactly a pro at this either since I don't often make them, anyway:

The loading screen image is called "name_of_the_map.jpg" or .tga at the end if you want transparency. If you want transparency then you need to work with a 32bit tga file and use and alpha channel. I'm sure there are probably some tutorials on how to do that already.

Put this image in a folder "levelshots" and put that in the pk3 file.

Same thing for the limbo screen image except it's called "name_of_the_map_cc.jpg". Same thing throw it in the levelshots folder in your pk3 file.

I'm not sure, but I also think that the images need to be square and the size needs to be a power of 2. (256x256, 512x512, etc). Just like the other textures in ET.

Once you've got your images you need to make a shader file. I don't think the name matters, but most maps use "name_of_the_map_leveshots.shader", or you might even be able to append the lines to an existing shader file if you have a specific one for your map already. (If you want fool proof then just make a new one called "name_of_the_map_leveshots.shader")

In this file paste the following:

Code: Select all

levelshots/name_of_the_map_cc_automap
{
 	nopicmip
	nocompress
	nomipmaps
 	{	 
 	 	clampmap levelshots/name_of_the_map_cc.tga
		depthFunc equal
		rgbGen identity
 	}	 
}

levelshots/name_of_the_map_cc_trans
{
 	nopicmip
	nocompress
	nomipmaps
	{
 	 	clampmap levelshots/name_of_the_map_cc.tga
		blendfunc blend
		rgbGen identity
		alphaGen vertex
 	}	 
}
change "name_of_the_map" to the name of your map. Put the shader file in your scripts folder in your pk3.

Done.

If you want to test it without a pk3 then you'll probably have to add the shader name to the shaderlist.txt

Unfortunately we're probably going to have to postpone the cup till 2014 I think since the maps won't be ready. I thought 25 Oct would be a good date since then it runs into the beginning weeks of November, but leaves people enough time to study for their exams. Since this date is not achievable it would have to be pushed back to December, but during December people generally have exams, holiday or other stuff going on. Therefore I think we should start looking towards 2014 for a new date. (Unless somebody has a better idea)
Flame

Post by Flame »

Thanks for that Stealth, I'll give it a go over the weekend.
Diman

Post by Diman »

What if this Cup will have special organization and I mean it won't be like usual 5 maps * 3 days per map = 15 days? Like mappers who are sure they have finished their maps can post their maps if they want (and it will give time for other mappers to finish their maps, of course) and players, if they see that they have time to do some runs (like in between two exams), validate their token for cup map at the moment they want, but after validation they have 3 days until it becomes invalid for one map, so they can download only one map after this and after 3 days they send their best run demo to Nico or someone, who will help to judge the runs on cheatlessness.

Shortly, what I suggest is:
- validating token for cup map at any time;
- validation lasts 3 days until it becomes invalid for a map;
- you can valid token only for one map at a time (unless you don't have time at all and want to do all of the maps in 3 days so I suggest maps to be used for running only until spring 2014);
- separate map downloading at any time (but players have to set up ETrun servers themselves for this running the latest ETrun version, but if they can't do it, keep some cup server opened all the time);
- after 3 days you have to send the demo of your best run to judges;

Don't know if that will be a better idea, but I am just speaking my mind.